Thursday 18 October 2018

Film Critique!

Last weekend brought an unexpected outing to the cinema.  Now I have always adored films and as a youngster spent every Saturday morning watching cartoons, exciting westerns and other cinematic entertainment - bliss. So any excuse today sees me galloping to the screens. My patient relaxed chauffeur drove into Cambridge and into the worst traffic jam.  I tried to stay relaxed and calm but when we were in walking distance of the cinema, my chauffeur suggested I went on foot as we were definitely not going anywhere soon.  Hence I arrived in Screen 2 as shown on my ticket where we had agreed to meet after parking the car. On entering into the darkness as the film had started, I could not see anything but this black and white film with subtitles and people singing in what looked like dutch costume.  Ah! a trailer, I thought, stumbling to find a seat and be quiet.  Jolly long trailer.....

After rummaging around in my handbag I found my torch, looked at my ticket again....yes, right screen but I knew this could not possibly be The Wife which I had come to see. So, gathering all my clobber I stumbled up the stairs, still in pitch darkness and out into the foyer. Espying someone cinematic, I ascertained that the screen had been changed for The Wife and it was in two! I was shown the way as the film had started and sank into my seat worrying about my friend finding me! She did, not too long afterwards.


The main reason I was so disappointed with The Wife was because, here was Glenn Close cast with the aspiration of an Oscar.  Why, oh, why then wasn't it just made in America with all the expertise of American/British directors etc.  The cinematography was so awful - with those dreadful long focuses on the actors saying nothing and expecting the audience to know what was in their heads - and the dialogue was unbelievably dreadful, saying ridiculous inane things to each other and expecting us to get involved with their juvenile thoughts. All this probably sounds very harsh but it is only my opinion. The plot was also unoriginal and I can imagine we have all read a similar one before. Don't be put off by my opinion but, if you go to see it, prepared to be bored stiff!!  And if Glen Close gets an Oscar, I shall 'eat my hat'!


The next day, lounging comfortably on my sofa, I watched Moonstruck - a proper, beautifully constructed film with a great story - funny and poignant and great dialogue. The main star was Cher and one was able to absorb her character as well as everyone else's. 



The storyline was completely believable and all the characters had their own stories which were melded into the plot becoming a family affair, in more ways than one. A film to enjoy again. Recommended to me and I recommend it to you.




1 comment:

  1. Love the post. Cher looks so amazing. My favourite film as well! xxx

    ReplyDelete